Thursday, July 24, 2014

If I Ever Have A Daughter!

Posted by Sunaina Patnaik at Thursday, July 24, 2014


“Daughters. They were sometimes as familiar and intimate as honeysuckles in bloom, but mostly daughters were mysteries. They lived in rooms you had long since abandoned and could not, did not, ever want to re-enter.” 

― Benjamin Alire Sáenz, Names on a Map


If I ever have a daughter, I want her to know that life will never be a bed of dandelion seeds; life will gives a sucker punch and no matter what we do, it takes time to recover.

But I will be there, I promise.

I will give her a tub of ice-cream instead of admonishing her for scoring a B in math. I will not judge her. I will understand God has planned her for different things. 

If I ever have a daughter, I want her to know that friends are meant to be valued in every walk of life. I want her to spend her time and affection only on those who spend theirs on her.

If I ever have a daughter, I want her to know she might love a wrong man and feel let down in several phases of life. I want her to give in to the pain, hold on, and let go.

Even in the darkest of the days, I will be there, I promise.

If I ever have a daughter, I want her to experience the beauty of literature and traveling. I want her to heal her pain with music and art. I will read to her in the night and remind her that she was raised to be like Nancy Drew.

If I ever have a daughter, I will teach her to be compassionate. I will teach her that kindness is above everything and even when looks fade, memories perish, and people transform for better or worse, kindness still endures.

I will love her and tell her the stories of Jane Eyre and Noddy. I do not want her to lose the spark of a child. Ever.

If I ever have a daughter, I want her to know the right man will never ask for more. He will see the worst and the best, and he will choose to keep the both. He will ask for sunshine and thunderstorm.

I want her to know that she should accept his annoying idiosyncratic nature and absolute adoration. Together!

If I ever have a daughter, I want her to know that she should have a career of her own - she might as well be a musician or do crafts for a living, but I want her to know that I will be there for her.

I promise.

If I ever have a daughter, I want her to know that as she walks out of the house, there will be a zillion men who ogle at her like she is a lush piece of meat. I want her to face the sad reality of our society without a disheartened nature.

And on days when she rushes into home wiping her tears, I will remind her that she was born to be a fighter and that she has to fight her dire straits without depending on anyone. Like I promised, I will be there.

If I ever have a daughter, I will give her a pet. I want her to know that the love for animals is beyond everything. 

If I ever have a daughter, I want her to write a journal. I want her to embrace her vulnerabilities and shine bright. 

I will be there for her, I promise.

If I ever have a daughter, I want her to be the protagonist of her story - strong and beautiful in her own way. I will love her for all intents and purposes. 

If I ever have a daughter, I want her to know that all memories are meant to be treasured. I want her to fall in love with her life and make fascinating memories all over the world. I want her to be a storyteller.

If I ever have a daughter, I want her to understand that there are no free lunches in life. I will urge her and push her hard for the good stuff in the life.

If I ever have a daughter, I want her to know that I am proud of her. 

And even if the whole world is against her, I will be there, I promise.

7 comments:

Namrata on 24 Jul 2014, 20:36:00 said...

Bravo or should I say lovely! Don't know. I hope that you have a daughter. Not one as many as you want. If I ever have a daughter, then the only thing I will tell her that no matter what happens in the world I will there holding her hand at any point of life. :)

Sunaina on 24 Jul 2014, 20:48:00 said...

@Namrata: Thank you.

Sindhu on 30 Jul 2014, 08:54:00 said...

Sunaina... hope every mother/parent supports their daughters like this,in specific with their careers..... Just love ur pieces of writings.

Sunaina on 31 Jul 2014, 02:20:00 said...

@Sindhu: Thanks! :)

nivy on 17 Oct 2014, 10:10:00 said...

I have a daughter n I hv already promised her

murthy rayudu on 17 Oct 2014, 10:44:00 said...

no words to express what i felt. its beautiful, awesome and more... made me speechless

Sunaina Patnaik on 17 Oct 2014, 10:52:00 said...

@Nivy: Great! :)

@Murthy: Thank you.

 

God Made Me Funky! Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos