Sunday, July 13, 2014

Journey from Corporate Slavery To Creative Culture

Posted by Sunaina Patnaik at Sunday, July 13, 2014

“That's the great secret of creativity. You treat ideas like cats: you make them follow you.” 
― Ray BradburyZen in the Art of Writing



Hello!

It has been two weeks since I joined my new job as a writer and I am safely assuming that it is a good amount of period to write down some of my thoughts.

So far, so good.

In some of my previous posts, I have unabashedly mentioned that I have gotten the much coveted freedom from the corporate slavery - a job that I pretty much did because I had no choice. And I sucked at it. 

Sure, it did pay some of my utterly useless bills (Things without which I could have definitely survived. Say The Body Shop and Lush?) but waking up to go to work every morning seemed like an incorrigible task. The best part about that job was going home. Because writing and reading happened in the evenings.

Last night, I had an inane urge to write something but I was too tired to sit in front of my laptop, or notebook, or you know, my newly aquired typewriter. I am sure I forgot that writing is a full time occupation now. So, here am I, writing down some random thoughts while listening to Clint Mansell.

1. Being busy is something very new to me. It keeps my mind away from some horrid thoughts. I do not overthink or smother my life with many complications.

2. While a corporate company has hundreds of people doing the same thing that you do, a creative culture job has very few people who do what you do. And it is a rare thing, you know? Too many different people at a same place. 

3. My new job definitely does not give me a lot of time to fool around. But my knowledge process and learning starts at ground zero. It is a good thing, you know? I get to learn so many new things and see such different people or write in various styles. 

4. These Hyderabad auto drivers are such a pain, I tell you. They want 300 to go everywhere. Hein? Even when the destination is generally around the corner, they want to be paid (Read loot) royally. 

Their excuse: Traffic.

But you know what? Sometimes, you board an auto with a driver who might divulge some details about our city and its politicians. Hear them out, they tell you the real time news.

5. The locality in which my office is located has too many adorable dogs.

And Di Bella coffee shop. Hee hee! (How I love that place and their waffles.)

6. The Monday morning blues have vanished into thin air.

7. While a creative culture has a lot of pros, it has its cons too. You cannot want to write all the time. But you got to. 

You are getting paid for writing, you fool.

8. Above everything, you will have that love-hate relationship with your first job. Just like that ex boyfriend of yours.

It is good as long as it lasts. But when it is over, it is done and dusted. It is time to move on to bigger and better things that shall bring happiness and creativity back into your lives.

And believe me, anything that kills your happiness and creativity does not really last longer even if it shines brighter than a diamond today.

9. Who said writers get paid nuts and that writing for writers is an easy job?

Bring that fellow to me. I will slipper him.

Finally, I am done explaining what I have felt in the past fourteen days.

You know someone truly said it right. When you do a job that you love, it cannot be called a job. It is fun.

On that note, I am off to read a book. Adios!



3 comments:

Namrata on 15 Jul 2014, 00:39:00 said...

Congo!!! Finally you landed in a place where even if everything is not rosy still then better than the sulking corporate..:)
BTW where are working now?

Sunaina on 15 Jul 2014, 00:50:00 said...

Thank you, Namrata!

saichandra sv on 28 Oct 2014, 12:20:00 said...

@9 I laughed,laughed & laughed. Before i could go to sleep Thanks a lot...:D . By d way hearty congratulations to you on you're new & wonderful Job. Best wishes

 

God Made Me Funky! Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos