Sunday, May 01, 2016

Us Against the World.

Posted by Sunaina Patnaik at Sunday, May 01, 2016

It is said that best friends are exactly alike. Birds of a feather. Two minds thinking as one. Funnily enough, my best friend and I are strikingly opposite in myriad ways. While she has a big smile wrapped on her face forever, I could be grumpy often. While she is up for all the fun things, I am found to be rather unwavering about the kind of fun I want to have. Despite the several differences, we both have our share of common space where our thoughts meet the way Sun meets the horizon. We are happy with just that. We are extremely happy with sharing silence on our drives back home or indulge ourselves in weird banter at highly loud places. She does not mind when I fall asleep early during our sleepovers. Always. I do it always - as if it's a ritual. And I don't get annoyed (Or maybe I do) when she arrives late every time we make plans. Nevertheless, she does it. We aren't the sort who break our rituals and habits. They die hard.


The previous week was particularly eventful. My best friend got married and obviously, it was one of the most emotional moments for me. To look at her stunning face and the joy written all over it. To see her so happy, giggling like a schoolgirl, resembling the girl I met eight years ago. We have been friends for a long time now and as I look back, I am surprised at the amount of things we have done together or the number of places we have been to. We have explored our way through college and the first rush of internships, we have ventured into our first jobs together and invested in many mindless things aimlessly. We spent too much, we felt too much, we cared too much and broke ourselves too much. But we always found each other in the worst situations too. I told you, it's a colossal amount.


Being friends with someone for eight years comes with a lot of pros and cons - your best friend slowly turns into your family, and when that truly happens, you turn fiercely protective of them. Often imagining that their wedding would result in a dramatic separation from you. Fun fact: It's not true. Sure, you might weep some nights wondering if your best friend is going to fly away from you and you eat tubs of ice-cream hoping you'd soon get used to doing things alone, but they'll only remind you that be it something as silly as eating cookies and cream ice-cream or ranting about the love of your life, you'll find them right beside you. Inevitably.


And finally, my best friend, you know who you are. Because you are the only one. Thank you for being such a lovely friend, and as you walk this new path with your certain someone, I cannot be happier for you. We have seen so much together and there is a long way to go. I love you and you matter so much to me, but more importantly, I want you to know that you complete me.

Congratulations!

Title of the post inspired from Coldplay's Us Against the World

0 comments:

 

God Made Me Funky! Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos