Saturday, August 29, 2015

Of the Great Unknown and Winding Roads.

Posted by Sunaina Patnaik at Saturday, August 29, 2015

Of one of the most important rituals from childhood, I vividly remember my daily visit to a really gigantic coconut tree that was located in a lane behind my colony. For some reason, it was a habit to go check up on the tree every evening when I was back from school. After every visit, I would be so glad. I would imagine the tree was growing with every passing day. I would imagine the tree was expecting me too.


My family moved to a different city and the next Summer when I was in Vizag, I was utterly excited to go see the tree. And I did, only to find out that it was cut down to widen the road. I still remember that moment in my head. Actually, scratch that. I could picture it, and if I made a list of top ten horrible moments of my life, this would definitely top the list. It was so painful that I never went to that place again. I wanted to smash the person who cut the tree. But I was seven, and that wasn’t going to be easy.


For months, I wasn’t able to look at another coconut tree normally. I mean, figure that! In due course, it never mattered though -- something that was so important to me back then seems like such a petty issue now. Of course, a coconut tree might be inconsequential in my life now. I don’t even remember when was the last time I noticed one.


While talking about this to a friend today, I thought about something similar. Or not.

Does present pain turn into something so trivial years down the line?


Take a closer look at what I meant there. There are instances where we lose people. Often there are reasons, often there aren’t any. Separations are always tragic, and we never accept them entirely. The pain is so awful that we lose track of time, and sit in the darkness dolefully hoping the void would go away.


It doesn’t. We make it go away. We fill it. Or we just forget it. It takes time though.


I have never been a great person with losing people. I have always hated it, just like most of you do. It has never been my forte to let go of people hundred per cent. However, if I was able to look beyond the destruction of my favourite tree at the age of seven and still love trees, I could definitely look past a lot of painful things at twenty four.

Doesn't the idea of horrible things turning insignificant seem ever so liberating? Yes, it does. It might be a great unknown for now but when it happens, I would gladly take my long and winding road again.


P.S. It has been a wonderful Saturday!

4 comments:

Krishna Prasad on 29 Aug 2015, 09:18:00 said...

Your stuff seems so live... May be of the simple words you used but really attracted eyes easily scroll as you've hardly used any pansy words, but mind pauses at every inch.

Sunaina Patnaik on 29 Aug 2015, 09:43:00 said...

@Krishna Prasad: Thanks a lot for your kind words. :)

Praveen Sadasivuni on 30 Aug 2015, 01:03:00 said...

Very nice

Sunaina Patnaik on 30 Aug 2015, 04:44:00 said...

Thank you, Peaveen bhayya! :)

 

God Made Me Funky! Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos