Wednesday, August 05, 2015

Of Impromptu Birthday Plans and Ghost Stories.

Posted by Sunaina Patnaik at Wednesday, August 05, 2015
It was my childhood friend’s birthday yesterday. Our impromptu planning led us to do really stupid things. Of course, they were totally funny. I guess all the things you do with your friends end up being great. In pursuit of killing the time period between breakfast and lunch, we watched a 4D movie called Hell Ride with Ghosts. Now, this wasn’t the first 4D movie I watched. I have watched and enjoyed a couple of them earlier, and few were scary too. But this one did it to me. It was outright annoying with the chairs swaying for no reason whatsoever and not even matching the scenes on the screen. It was filled with women and a child wearing utterly dirty clothes, smeared with blood, doing gory things to a guy. Ghosts in white are alright, but ghosts with blood dripping from their arms and eyes are not cool. There were many instances in the movie that made me go eww, and I was forced to close my eyes.


All this, of course, like always, led me to another thought. Ever wondered how we are all fascinated with the idea of ghosts? Any conversation about anything supernatural is intriguing. We read books, we watch sitcoms and movies based on supernatural beings and find them ever so gripping. But how many of us actually believe in the monsters under our beds, or a ghost with twisted feet lurking in our neighbourhood? Yes, we don’t! Some of them might believe in them. I really don't know know.


One of the fondest memories from childhood would always be include staying up till wee hours of the night with my cousins and urging my grandmother to narrate stories of ghosts and haunted mansions. On the days she would, it was a treat for us, but later in the night we would either refuse to turn off the lights or tug at each other in sleep.


Such is the fright. Sometimes.


This reminded me of yet another incident that happened last week. I came home from work late one evening and my mother rushed into my room to fill me on the latest gossip of the colony. As it turned out, my neighbours had an experience with a spirit. They claimed to have heard vague footsteps of someone at 12:30 AM. Terrified to no end, they vacated that floor instantaneously and huddled downstairs, shivering and waiting for the dawn to break. That morning, they made it a point to visit all the temples and churches in the vicinity.

I was baffled.

The footsteps they heard were mine. My balcony is right beside their bedroom and I was talking on phone. If only they peeped out of their window, they would have seen me.

They would have known it wasn't the ghost.
Boy, I did scare them a lot, didn’t I?

And we blame the poor little ghosts for everything.

P.S. Happy Birthday, Aditya! Here's to a healthier and wealthier year ahead.

2 comments:

saichandra sv on 23 Aug 2015, 13:00:00 said...

OMG.....!!!! And I thought this news has spread in national media to become breaking news :p Really thank you for this post. I loved it. This is the second post from you about childhood memories. The other one is here.

Sunaina Patnaik on 23 Aug 2015, 19:51:00 said...

Thanks a lot, Saichandra. :)

 

God Made Me Funky! Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos