Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Melancholia.

Posted by Sunaina Patnaik at Tuesday, November 17, 2015

One of the most mundane attempts to get over boredom is to browse through Facebook aimlessly. At 24, I think it is a crime though I am guilty of doing it. As it turned out, I opened Facebook today when it welcomed me with 'What's on your mind?' For starters, a lot. An unimaginable amount of incorrigibly ridiculous nonsense. I wished it asked me 'What's not on your mind?' That would have been an easy question to answer.


I am a slave to my emotions. Sometimes, I arrive at a point where I think I am an emotional masochist. While I definitely do know that I am not one, I also know that I am an insanely sensitive person. It doesn't take much to make me weep. I weep even a TV series ends, even when it is not Friends. I cried when Entourage ended. Who in the world cries for Entourage? I do.


Let's talk about what's on my mind for the day. I was having a conversation with one of my friends who has been complaining that I am being constantly absent from her life. I apologize to all the friends who are experiencing my sudden disappearance, but you'll see a lot more of my absence. So my friend was asking me why most of my writings are centered around sadness. I failed to answer her question then, mostly, because I wanted to get back to reading but here's the thing about sadness. It gets to us, and not even the strongest and the mightiest of us are not spared. Talking or writing about sadness is not showing your vulnerabilities. If anything, I believe it's all a part of acceptance. The irony about sadness is that it transforms us in a way that happiness doesn't. I am not saying happiness is a bad thing. It is an end goal of EVERYTHING we do in our life.


A person I knew once told me that some of the best, world famous works by musicians, artists, writers, painters have been produced out of melancholy. And some of the lesser known works too, of course. When someone asks us, why sadness? Why choose that? We have to tell them that there is nothing disdainful about it. It is an emotion everyone goes through. Some choose to talk about it and put it in the open, some don't. It's alright, however, one deals with it, but the definition of sadness is never altered.

2 comments:

mahathi ramya A on 18 Nov 2015, 03:58:00 said...

Nice thought process.. In our society, we have a general feeling that who expresses sadness are not very efficient to tackle the situation/ problem. I agree with you that it's just an emotion and someone prefer to keep it open, whereas someone don't want to show it to others.

Sunaina Patnaik on 18 Nov 2015, 05:59:00 said...

@Mahathi Ramya: Thank you. :)

 

God Made Me Funky! Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos