Monday, February 23, 2015

Dreaming Under The Starlit Sky!

Posted by Sunaina Patnaik at Monday, February 23, 2015



“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” 

― Ralph Waldo Emerson

It has been a long day. I had a tough time explaining the cab driver the route to my office.

My morning coffee wasn't strong enough. My evening coffee wasn't even warm.

My feet ache. The high heels have paid their due. The radio played the music I hate. And my phone stopped working for an hour. 

It is a Monday. It has to be dreadful living up to its name, I reckon.

Just when I assumed that, things changed. 

I was stuck in traffic listening to a song by Maroon 5. As I was slightly obsessing over Adam Levine's voice, I look outside the window to see a world brimming with different people.

Bantering couples, children going home from tuition, teenagers on their way home from college, a bunch of friends laughing wildly over coffee, women looking at showrooms in awe, a child dressed in bright yellow with an ice-cream in her hand and glee on her face.

What would their stories be, I wondered.

I go a little further to see a different set of people. The working class--men driving through a terrible traffic jam, women waiting to board a cab, people walking to their closest destination with a laptop bag, and some with a bag full of groceries.

But you know what was the common thing? It was the fatigue that was written all over their faces. 

What do we work for?

Is it for the corner office? It is for the even cushy corner office? Is it for that much coveted lifestyle that our friends take pride in? Is it for fulfilling the dreams of our parents? Is it for paying our bills? Is it for the ailing children at home? Is it for creating a name in the society? I don't know. There could be a lot of things.

No matter what we do and what we say, I believe that we all work towards that one dream that has been giving us nightmares since childhood. A dream that has been simply pushing us to make our lives beautiful. I mean, it is just a small dream that keeps us awake in the night. Of course, it is a tiny dream that influences everything we say, and every step we take.

And sometimes, it is just a vague dream that makes us let go of our relationships, tampering them, and ends up being a sour moment between our parents as well; a trivial dream that never leaves our mind though we hide it under the fibers of our brain hoping it would wean away. Someday.

But guess what? That dream is here to stay!

And if you have no clue on what your dream is, keep exploring and experimenting with a lot of things. You will get there. 

Because we all deserve that lovely story that we can tell our grandchildren under a starlit sky.

8 comments:

Vinay Nagaraju on 24 Feb 2015, 22:54:00 said...

This is a nice piece Sunaina. I could resonate with the thoughts in this post. That one dream and the constant question as to why we are doing it and sometimes it all seems so listless and the very next moment we are out there doing it again . Kinda strange isnt it?! :).

I love both Maroon5 and the quote you start with. I really liked their recent songs..

Sunaina Patnaik on 25 Feb 2015, 00:27:00 said...

@Vinay: Much thanks! :)

monica malik on 2 Mar 2015, 01:07:00 said...

and then there are those
who have always had the same dream and are yet afraid to chase it 'coz the stakes are too high...

Sunaina Patnaik on 2 Mar 2015, 21:52:00 said...

@Monica: The stakes are never too high. :)

Anonymous said...

I went through your blog..Most of them good ..few bad ones and some worst..Did someone ever told you how prentensious you are..I bet you are not more than 24 years..So don't assume that you have seen it all. Writing is not preaching. That is rule 101. Most beautiful works were written and created not for the auidance or the readers. They happened because it was manifested away from the glitter of fame. Be honest..if not to yourself at least in your writings.

Sunaina Patnaik on 17 Mar 2015, 08:59:00 said...

@Anonymous: Good morning bro,

Although I’ve never been a huge fan of dousing myself in the “glitter of fame”, I must confess my desire to experience it at least once in my lifetime.

Don’t everyone? Why, even someone like you, must have such grand dreams. Somewhere between leaving anonymous comments, which I am totally sure you know bolsters the credibility of the source, you have been quite honest, haven't you? But I assure you, any such dreams I may or may not have have very little to do with my blog, a personal blog at that, where I write, scribble mostly, about whatever comes to my mind, you know, that thing that writers do, to find their voice.

Of course, you might not be familiar with it.

But yes, I do get what you say. But more than all the words that you wrote that bothered me, the one thing that has been eating me up inside, giving me sleepless nights is, and I have to do this, because no one would ever do that to you.

- What is it with the double full-stops?
- most of them ARE good
- few ARE bad, and some ARE worst
- And there you go, double full-stops again.
-Did someone ever TELL you
- PRETENTIOUS (This is the right spelling)
- Audience. I repeat, audience. (Let me tell you another thing. Every person in the world wants to get an identity. No artist is stupid enough to lock their work up in a closet, and frolic around the streets pretending to be doing nothing.)
- "they were" manifested

Anyway, thanks a lot, bro! This has been fun. We got to do this more often, you know?

saichandra sv on 21 Mar 2015, 11:51:00 said...

@Sunaina if some one points you on you're favourite subject, then you have come up with a solid reply hahaha that's nice how come you're sure that he is male... ? @anonymous And I don't understand is there any rule that writings should not be fiction. Do we really need to experience everything before we write??

Sunaina Patnaik on 22 Mar 2015, 01:43:00 said...

@Sai Chandra: Haha. I am not sure if the comment was by a girl or a boy, I just used 'bro' as a term for fun. Not referring to any gender. :)

 

God Made Me Funky! Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos