Sunday, October 11, 2015

The Demons In Our Head.

Posted by Sunaina Patnaik at Sunday, October 11, 2015

Often there are demons in our head we have to fight battles with.


These demons cripple us. They begin living with us. It does not matter how much we try to push them out. They stay. They hover. They make our head their home.


One such demon I fight is love. People who read my blog or know me well enough know how much I think about love, or how happy I am when two people in love have a really happy ending. I derive so much happiness from the little stories my friends or family tell me about it. But in this post, I am not referring to the romantic love alone. I am not even talking about the platonic one. I am talking about the love that comes in various forms. In the form of friends, family, coworkers, strangers we meet every day.


It is strange that over the past few days, weeks, months. Wait, you know what? I actually lost the count of it. I have come to believe that love is a bad space to be in. And this is coming from a person who weeps every time a romantic comedy ends. Not a cool thing.

I began to believe that love is a lie. That when someone loves me and then stops loving me, I have done something utterly terrible for them to stop loving me overnight. That when I attract unhealthy friends who convince me to do things I hate, I blame my love for them. Never did I blame my poor judgment of choice. Or when some random relative gives me advice or forces me into things I hate, I forget to stand up for myself. I blame love for it. In fact, I blame it for every bad thing that happens in my life.


That is the thing about the most of us. We forget that our problems with the people we love are the problems we have with them. Not with love. The problems we claim to be problems are because we stop fighting for them, we stop talking about them. We stop communicating. We avoid them. And what happens when we avoid them? We make space for sadness and demons.


I have this wonderful, a little special friend who said something a few days ago. Confront your devils before they take your soul for ransom. I don't know what he meant when he said that, or in what context he updated that status, but I knew that I have to really deal with my demons (or devils) first. Little by little, probably, but I won't let them stay in my mind for things I blame myself for.

I hope you all fight the demons in your head (We all have different ones. Yours and mine might be different) and help the people around you to fight theirs. There will be no end to our struggles if we aren't in this together.


P.S. I hope you all had a great Sunday. I look forward to nothing but Monday. Gosh, I am such a Monday person.

2 comments:

SAI KRISHNA on 14 Oct 2015, 22:04:00 said...

Thought provoking post!

Made me realise that it's not only am idle mind that's a devil's workshop but also am apathetic one.

We are often so preoccupied that we are unaware of the fact that our head has been housing the demons.As you rightly pointed out, we need to find and let the demon out.

Tx

Sunaina Patnaik on 15 Oct 2015, 00:24:00 said...

@Sai Krishna: Thank you. :)

 

God Made Me Funky! Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos