Monday, September 08, 2014

I Am A Snob. Not!

Posted by Sunaina Patnaik at Monday, September 08, 2014


“I'm not a snob. Ask anybody. Well, anybody who matters.” 

― Simon Le Bon


My mind always runs in circles. I am glad it does. It keeps me occupied on days when I have utterly nothing to do.

This Saturday night, while I was talking to one of my friends, my mind was still running in circles, like one of those natural obligations, you know?

"You are not a snob. But you come across as one. You never keep yourself open to new people," he said. 

I tried to defend myself and all that, trying to throw some instances to prove I am not really an Ice Queen; much to my chagrin, I went ahead and called myself an extremely friendly person too.

Oops, I know I am not. I am not a people's person. 

"You could be hated for what you are not," he said. I wanted to act cool by quoting Eminem but I refrained from doing so, because such epic comebacks are always a fail with him.

The next morning, I asked another friend if these things were any true. He confirmed my worst fears. I come across as a snob. "You have that look on your face which makes people think you are not approachable.

Looks like cockroaches are more approachable.

Anyway, whatever happened to people who are just reserved and want to do their work, and live a life without making any new friends? 

Is that a new definition of snob?

****

I could be in some serious trouble, I reckon. I mean let us just talk about my track record at making new friends. I haven't made many friends after graduation. 

Why don't I pause the flow of writing and count for a moment. I have made 3...4..friends after graduation?

Oh!

Looks like I am not keeping my options open. My friend said, "You never know who you'll meet." Of course, considering the fact that I am at my workplace all day long, the probability of making friends is highly unlikely even if I act like Joey Tribbiani.

This is not fair ya!

My friends could have instead said, I was short, which is partially true. Or they could have called my wardrobe a mourning one considering the fact that I dress black almost every day.(Oh don't even ask, it is a new fashion statement I have been trying to create.)

I would have thrown tantrums and gotten over it, you know? 

This "You should keep your avenues open" thing will never work with me, man. I have always been that person who absolutely loved doing things alone. SOMETIMES. A movie night or a binge sitcom watching noon. I have always been that person who preferred staying indoors over clubbing; always chose isolated coffee shops over noisy, crowded places; I've always been that person who got bored of people and things easily-so I choose wisely. 

I wish I could keep my avenues open, stop dodging calls, and respond to text messages instantly rather than writing nonsensical blog-posts like this, or posting pictures of a pair of shoes on Instagram. I really wish I could go out for a girls night out instead of staying in to watch House or Suits. I wish I could respond to all my emails on time, or make an effort to get out there and meet new people (Another concept that is entirely alien to me. I shudder at the thought of meeting new people.) and accommodate a little more space for the new-comers who might wreck my life for all I know.

Even worse, I might wreck theirs!

I wish I could have a control over my mood swings that visit me more often than my best friends do. 

I wish I could. But I cannot. So, let me make the most out of my solitude with Franz Kafka and romantic comedies.

If someone really wants to have me in their life, they will surely understand I have a twisted mind (in all dimensions) and act accordingly. I am not a friendly person, but I can bend my rules sometimes, for the few exceptionally chosen ones.

I can sense the effort, you know? 

So, get yourself right here with a tub of hazelnut ice-cream, and we'll watch House and have stimulating conversations. I am just an accidental snob!

2 comments:

suganth on 8 Sep 2014, 04:26:00 said...

Really Nice. Found it from Instagram. Keep writing :)

Sunaina on 8 Sep 2014, 04:56:00 said...

@Suganth: Thank you.

 

God Made Me Funky! Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos