Thursday, October 23, 2014

My Diwali!

Posted by Sunaina Patnaik at Thursday, October 23, 2014

Festivals offer you an excuse of stuffing yourself with sweets. 

When I was a child, my favourite festival for theoretical (Read 'Your favourite festival' essay) purposes was Holi, though I never really liked playing Holi. But in real world, Diwali has always been my favourite festival. With my grandparents coming all the way from Calcutta and grandmother's homemade food, Diwali was always a grand event at my place. I cannot think of a single child who would not like Diwali. Bursting crackers and meeting all the family members happens just once a year right? 

As I sit down to write this, with the fairy lights hanging up in my room and some soothing music, I recollect all the Diwalis I have spent--Diwalis spent with the cousins I no longer correspond with, Diwalis spent awaiting evenings to burst crackers, Diwalis spent eating ladoos made by my grandmother, Diwalis spent mourning over my grandmother and her special ladoos, the Diwalis spent studying and practicing math, and the Diwalis spent going through one of the terrible phases of my life.

This Diwali was a little different. I might not be happy at this point of time, but this Diwali was entirely different. For starters, I burst some crackers, which I generally do not. We could be eco-friendly but we do not have to stop having fun in the entirety. A little fun hurts no one as long we maintain some limitations. And of course, no sound pollution too. I have zero tolerance levels for high decibels of sound. So, yes, I burst crackers after nine whole years.

Not bad, eh? The things you do to keep your head off few things.

I went ahead and wished a few of my local vendors a happy Diwali. It didn't just make them happy, it made me happy too.

I helped my mother with cooking, which happens a few times, but never on festivals. We lit the diyas together and I turned my balcony into a light house. (Well, almost)

I watched movies with my family, and we all dined together.

Later in the evening, my sister and I went to fetch some food from a stall in our colony. There, I noticed a family with two children--a three year old boy, and a seven year old boy. While the older one was staying away from bursting crackers, the younger one was fearless enough to light up all the flower pots, and he cringed at the fact that his older brother was shying away from all the fun. He did his share, and much to my surprise, did his older brother's share too. 

It almost drifted me back to my childhood, where my cousin brother was always the shy one, and I would burst all his crackers. 

Today was a lot better than I imagined and I am utterly glad that it made me nostalgic and all that. And maybe, just maybe, growing older does not mean you need to stop having fun. You can, but I guess I still did not earn the license of bursting crackers without adult supervision.

Daddy, I am 23. :|

2 comments:

saichandra sv on 24 Oct 2014, 12:15:00 said...

Belated happy Diwali 😊 OMG you have done lot of things in a single that too in festive season, watched movie,cooked food,went out,burst crackers.... For while I felt like some kind supersonic plain just passed by me

saichandra sv on 24 Oct 2014, 12:16:00 said...

And don't worry I hope you will never get licence to crack bombs without adult supervision without

 

God Made Me Funky! Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos