Thursday, October 16, 2014

A Piece of Cake

Posted by Sunaina Patnaik at Thursday, October 16, 2014

“I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal.” 

― Jane Austen


I am not interested in making conversations. 

I make conversations with very few people. 

I am known to be an absolute jerk at work. No, seriously! 

I have been told that I am outright arrogant with fellow workers. In my defence, I'd say that, I do not like making friends at work. I do not like talking with colleagues after I am home. 

If someone from work regards me as their friend, I leave no stone unturned in making it clear to them that there is a lot of difference between being friendly and being friends. I am here to work, and not to make friends.

I might have not done this in my first job, but then, I hardly made 3 friends at my first job too. 

In my new job, a month after I joined, two sane people quit. I turned into an even grumpier person with no one to keep my mood swings in check.

THIS IS BRAND NEW INFORMATION.

People are not that bad, you know? I could be grumpy and all that, but there are people who are actually fine with that. I should probably start behaving well, I reckon? 

Every time I am down, all I need to do is count the number of colleagues who ask me if I am doing well. To think of it, it baffles me that these are the very people who were snubbed by me for calling me their friend. Repeatedly. Every time they uttered the word 'friend.'

It is quite surprising how nice people are. No, not just our colleagues, family, or friends. Just everyone. People apologize to you for things they haven't done. Things will be okay, they say, even when they do not have the slightest clue about what the things are. You are great, good things happen to good people like you, they say, albeit goodness is a trait that I have far forgotten. People will love you, dote on you, get you chocolates when you ignore them. They call you, hover around you to make sure you eat. They'll join you when you unpack your shopping bags, and get you an ice-cream when they end up emptying a mug of coffee on your pants unintentionally. They will do everything, just to make their fellow human being grin like an imp.

This world is a beautiful place. All you need to do is, share your piece of cake with someone. 

5 comments:

Aparajita ColorsOfMyLife on 16 Oct 2014, 03:50:00 said...

I was in quite a "I hate the whole world" mood but your post calmed me down :)

Sunaina on 16 Oct 2014, 04:53:00 said...

@Aparajita: I am glad it did.

Sindhu said...

Next time when i feel low, i know what to do ;)

Sunaina on 16 Oct 2014, 06:04:00 said...

@Sindhu: I am sure you do. :)

saichandra sv on 24 Oct 2014, 12:32:00 said...

Yeah definitely the world is beautiful place but people are only good at some human grounds and you find the goodness' of people with some boundaries and life is entirely outside college and one must be very a bit careful with people around them.By the time we realise something were gone by time or situation

 

God Made Me Funky! Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos