Saturday, June 09, 2012

I See Her

Posted by Sunaina Patnaik at Saturday, June 09, 2012



25 minutes
She did not come.
45 minutes
She must have been stuck in a traffic jam.
60 minutes
Now I am scared. 

Ananya was never late. She was always on time. I have been meeting her in this park for the past six months and she has never been late. She would reach here by 8 PM and stay till 9 PM. She would not stay for a minute over 9 even if I pleaded her. I fell on her feet too.Tough luck! Never worked. She said she had family issues. I said that I understood. Honestly, I never did. She never gave me her number. She said she did not have one. I never forced her into anything. I loved her. I found solace in her. After a hectic day of work at college, she was the only one that gave me happiness. Pure happiness! The sixty minutes of time that I spent with her on this bench gave me the world of joy. She was mine

But she did not come today. The next day.  And the very next day.

I could not take her off my mind. Her long black tresses, her big black eyes, her expressions made me sigh. Where did she go? There was no way that I could get to her. Did she realize that she was throwing me into a mess? I stopped going to the college and sat in the park the whole day. May be she decided to come early? She wouldn't even be able to contact me. I thought of all the moments I spent with her. She always dressed in light colours. I saw her mostly in white and pink. She loved pink. She always laughed loudly, and always smiled. She reserved a special smile for me. It made me go crazy. She was mine.

Days turned into weeks, weeks turned into some more weeks, and no, they did not turn into months. I wouldn't let that happen, would I? I vaguely remembered the name of the locality she stayed. She said many times that it was her favourite place. I wasted no time. I got into my car and reached her locality. It took me an odd thirty minutes. It did not take much time for me to recognize her house. The name plate on a house showed her surname. I went in. After a few impatient knocks, her servant opened the door. I asked for Ananya, he took me to a room which had her parents in it. Her mom looked like an older version of Ananya. I understood where her good looks have come from.

"Aunty, I am Ananya's friend. Can I talk to her for a while?" I wanted to see her. I was desperate.

"Since when have you been her friend?” she eyed me warily.

"Umm, six months."

"You are joking. Aren't you?"

"Why would I? She is not coming to the college every day. We were worried. Can I meet her once?", her dad did not even look at me. Arrogance! :|

"Boy! Are you out of your mind? Are you even at the right Ananya's place?"

"Are you Mrs Malhotra?"

"Very much I am."

"Then I am at the right place. Call her. Please!"

"You make no sense at all. I suppose you were on a long break, and a very long one at that."

She sighed and asked me to follow her. She took me to a room and showed me a picture. I stood at my place and did not move a tiny bit. Aunty put a piece of paper in my hand and left the room. No! This couldn't have happened. I met her just three weeks ago. Tears welled in my eyes. 


15th April, 2008. Her death certificate was dated with this. It has been four years now. And I could see her. My world was devastated. How could she die? I walked out of her house dazed.

I drove like a madman. Period. I saw her, I saw her. She was standing by the park. The same special smile! And before I could stop her, I saw her vanish into thin air in front of my eyes. It sent a chill down my spine. 

It all happened in seconds and I couldn't do anything. But I did not want to sulk over it. She chose to show herself to me. Just me! I felt special. There was a reason for everything and this girl made my life special. Indeed! 

I headed back home with a smile on my face. I was special. And she was mine.

I still see her at times today. She doesn't talk to me. But whenever I am in trouble, she appears. I know that she will be there for me. Forever!

Today, I am fifty and it's my daughter Ananya's wedding. Nothing has changed. I still see her.

25 comments:

The Solitary Writer on 9 Jun 2012, 23:34:00 said...

Oh my !! Such a wonderful story. I just loved everybit of it. Ananya must have done wonders in the guys life and thats why he fails to forget her.Precious memories huh!! Not a bad story at all Sunaina...well written and most importantly it grabs the attention of your reader for sure.:)

Sunaina Patnaik on 9 Jun 2012, 23:36:00 said...

@The Solitary Writer: Wow! Thanks a lot! :) I am glad that you have liked it. :)

Sugumar on 9 Jun 2012, 23:40:00 said...

Sunaina, one of the best story u have written!! The best love story i have eva read!! Too good!! Waiting for u to write a book!! :D

anwesha on 9 Jun 2012, 23:43:00 said...

By far, one of the best posts from u. Good one. Loved every bit :)

Sunaina Patnaik on 9 Jun 2012, 23:46:00 said...

You people are just being kind. Thank you! :)

monica.malik on 10 Jun 2012, 04:28:00 said...

very touching..and an awesome story..!

thegreedyreader on 10 Jun 2012, 04:31:00 said...

really nice...a heart touching one!!

Tarang Sinha on 10 Jun 2012, 04:47:00 said...

A very well crafted tale! Really nice and engrossing:)

Sunaina Patnaik on 10 Jun 2012, 05:51:00 said...

@Varun: Thanks a lot! :)

@Monica: Thanks a lot! :)

@Tarang: Thanks! :D

Naveen on 10 Jun 2012, 05:59:00 said...

Good one :)

Ramya on 10 Jun 2012, 06:06:00 said...

love this :)

Sunaina Patnaik on 10 Jun 2012, 06:24:00 said...

Thanks guys! :)

phani rahul on 10 Jun 2012, 09:40:00 said...

I'd like one ananya too please. :P

Sunaina Patnaik on 10 Jun 2012, 09:41:00 said...

@Rahul: Pervert! :P

kiran vemuri on 10 Jun 2012, 10:12:00 said...

haha!
@rahul: you'd like to have many others too :p
and @sunaina! what an awesome story!
but i still ask you for a longer version :p

Sunaina Patnaik on 10 Jun 2012, 10:16:00 said...

@Kiran: I, hereby, announce that Rahul is a pervert and turn him into a repulsive guy in front of all the women in the Blogger arena.

And thank you! The longer version, it would never happen. :|

Sunaina Patnaik on 10 Jun 2012, 10:16:00 said...

@Rahul: Let alone a forlorn ghost, I cannot even get you a real lady. :P

Ritvik Gautam on 10 Jun 2012, 11:43:00 said...

Wow!! This is simply... MARVELOUS!!!
Awesome narration. With so much of ease you have penned down his feelings.
WOW!! :-)

Sunaina Patnaik on 10 Jun 2012, 11:47:00 said...

Thanks a lot, Ritvik! :D

Asisha on 11 Jun 2012, 05:35:00 said...

WHoa!
U are one helluva writer !
The Story is so brilliantly written right from the first line !
We want more such works from u :)

Sunaina Patnaik on 11 Jun 2012, 06:04:00 said...

Whoa! Thanks a ton! :D

Lazy Pineapple on 13 Jun 2012, 21:14:00 said...

Lovely story Sunaina..it was such a delight to read it and I especially loved the end that he did not run away scared from her once he knew the truth..
Thanks for following me..

Sunaina Patnaik on 13 Jun 2012, 21:16:00 said...

My pleasure! :) I am glad that you have liked it. Thanks! :)

Riki on 16 Oct 2012, 01:04:00 said...

Loved your story Sunaina. I stumbled upon your blog by chance and i am loving it all the more as i keep reading each post of yours.. :)

Sunaina on 18 Oct 2012, 04:37:00 said...

@Riki: Thank you! :)

 

God Made Me Funky! Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos