Friday, June 06, 2014

And, It Was A Happy Birthday!

Posted by Sunaina Patnaik at Friday, June 06, 2014


“The cake had a trick candle that wouldn't go out, so I didn't get my wish. Which was just that it would always be like this, that my life could be a party just for me.” 

― Janet Fitch

I turned 23 this Wednesday and I had one of the best birthdays ever. 

But let me warn you, it is not an extremely great feeling, you know? Just a while ago, I was a teenager listening to heavy rock music, and I blink my eyes and whoa, I am 23 now. Just for the record, I do not enjoy heavy rock music any longer.

It is a little scary to know that you are growing older and all that. I know some of you won't agree with me, some will, and those big 3 0s would literally roll their eyes at me and say, look at us and talk, kid. But yes, whatever. I am growing old.

While I am enjoying the afterglow of my birthday and stuffing myself with more cake, I wonder if there is any difference in me when I turned 22 and now. I wonder if I have done something worthwhile in the past one year. I wonder if I learned something - useful or not. Have I gained any experiences?

The answer to all - yes, I have. And I know for a fact that I will keep getting better. Also, I am sure I will get even better by the time I turn 24. 

As I look into the past one year, I think of all the things I have done. I met new people, I made new friends. I have visited a lot of new places, watched good movies, read some wonderful books, ate a lot of delicious food, got rid of some toxic people and reunited with some good old friends, experienced euphoria, bitter sadness, experienced vulnerability and strength, I have written a lot of things, and earned the much coveted freedom from corporate slavery. Touchwood!

I made memories. 

And, I know for a reason that with every passing birthday, we will always have a handful of things that we have done and will remain with you. I am glad I too have them.

Thanks to everyone who were a part of my life, and are a part of my life. You all have given me many stories and I will keep building many more.

Thank you Anirudh, Asisha, Sugumar, Supadha, Haritha, Harish, Kiriti, Amrutha, Anwesha, Suguna! You guys have seen the worst in me and let us just hope you won't see anything more horrible. The worst case scenario factor has reached a saturation point, right? And let me not forget, you guys are all part of the big, major memories I have made. 

Here's to growing old, feeling utterly weird about your age and all that, getting busier with your lives, partners, losing touch with the moronic side of the youth and oh, the carelessness. This too shall pass!

IT WAS ONE HELL OF A BIRTHDAY, PEOPLE!


6 comments:

suguna simhadri on 6 Jun 2014, 07:51:00 said...

Superb,well expressed. luv u <3 . And yes,i will always be with you in any kind of situation. can call up anytime :)

Sunaina on 6 Jun 2014, 07:53:00 said...

@Suguna: I know. Love you too. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello :) it's the intruder again :p I'm vaishnavi! Happy birthday! It was a great post!

I'm a fan of your blog already.

Sunaina on 6 Jun 2014, 08:48:00 said...

@Vaishnavi: Haha, thank you SO much! :)

Namrata on 7 Jun 2014, 07:00:00 said...

Happy birthday...:D :D BTW how does it feel to be 23??? I am just 22 and the world feels so bad that I don't want to stay here anymore..just kidding;)

Sunaina on 10 Jun 2014, 08:19:00 said...

Haha, this too, shall pass.

 

God Made Me Funky! Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos