Thursday, April 09, 2015

A Table For One!

Posted by Sunaina Patnaik at Thursday, April 09, 2015

It is a common misconception that I am a people person. Maybe I am. Maybe I am not.

But if I am gifted the opportunity of choosing my solitude over the company of people for at least 10 days a month, I would gladly accept it, and quite graciously at that.

Of course, I love people, I love listening to their stories and to their tales on hope and endless possibilities of attaining something totally unattainable. But I also like to sit in peace, and read fascinating stories of the same people in the form of words and metaphors.

I guess I really like to oscillate between the two worlds - the one brimming with people, and the other filled with silence.

I would not call myself a recluse, but, there are moments when I prefer to do things alone - You know, like shopping, traveling, and eating out.

While one can do most of the things alone, the problem occurs only when you are trying to eat out alone.

This happens with me most of the times, and it is quite funny. I walk into a certain restaurant and ask for a table for one, and I find the waiter giving me a really sympathetic look, and much to my horror, I am given a table right in the center of the room.

I don’t know, does the waiter think I am all by myself (Read desperately alone) and hence, I need to sit in the middle of bantering people and chaos?

I am not sure.

Because when I ask for a corner table, the waiter gives me a once-over and asks, “Are you sure, ma’m?” And for reasons I cannot fathom, I earn the wrath of either a bad table or really pesky, overly helpful service.

You have no clue how many times I control my urge to tell them that I am here, only to enjoy good food while I am reading, and to remind them, that nothing is wrong with me.

There are a lot of people who ask if my solitude benefits me, and I tell them that it does in many million ways.

For one thing, it increases my productivity. The fact that I am able to read or write without any human contact, or my mobile phone constantly giving me constant notifications about mundane things is an achievement in its own league, if I might say.

A person who appreciates his solitude would appreciate the company of people even more. His attachment with nature and self increases leaps and bounds.

Okay, that was deep yet stupid stuff.

But let me admit, the whole point of writing this post is, this - dear waiters, let me devour my pasta in peace. No, I do not need sangria to wipe my tears away, and I definitely do not need several helpings of cheese to lead myself to the Prince Charming.

I am pretty complacent with whatever I have, and doing right now.

However, if there is something that I would really love, it is this - a corner table in a coffee shop adorned with fairy lights, a copy of Italo Calvino’s Difficult Loves, the aroma of coffee and a cup of coffee in my hand, good music playing rather faintly in the background, and people sitting in a distance talking about love and literature, and laughing at humourous things that tickle them.

Because that would be the perfect end to a solitary day at my table for one.

6 comments:

saichandra sv on 15 Apr 2015, 08:27:00 said...

by the way what is your regular hangout for food . i will let the waiter(s) in the restaurant know about your requirement :P

monica malik on 19 Apr 2015, 04:15:00 said...

I pity those waiters, no really.

All I got to say is- I am gonna go out soon and ask for a table for one..:) That's how much (impressed?) inspired by this post.:)
Good luck..

Sunaina Patnaik on 20 Apr 2015, 04:31:00 said...

@Monica Malik: Haha, thank you girl! :)

Sunaina Patnaik on 20 Apr 2015, 04:32:00 said...

@Saichandra: Haha. :)

wizabhir on 12 May 2015, 09:09:00 said...

Experience the same when I go to movies alone. I'm like come on guys I can enjoy alone.

Sunaina Patnaik on 12 May 2015, 09:51:00 said...

@Wizabhir: Totally.

 

God Made Me Funky! Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos