Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Fabulous, New, and Broken.

Posted by Sunaina Patnaik at Wednesday, December 23, 2015

The thing about bad days is that, like memories, even they keep you on your toes. In a bad way, of course.


Last night, I was on my way home from work, and a bus driver rammed into my car, which spoiled my almost good day. No matter how many times you see the advertisements (along with lots of educational videos and news on TV) warning not to drink and drive, people still do that. I bought my car just three weeks ago and it hurt to see an enormous dent on it. Sure, I could get it repaired. Sure, I could claim insurance and move on as if nothing really happened. But obviously, I cannot forget the way people react to a thing like this. The driver who was at fault apologized profusely, and I was pretty annoyed at him. But, the bus belonged to banking and financial services company, and a few employees were supporting their driver. It made me realize how much people do not care. I mean, as long as nothing happens to them, as long as no damage is done to them, they just wanted to wrap this up, and get on their bus and go home to watch goddamn Pretty Little Liars or Breaking Bad. And one cannot expect empathy when apathy has crept into their minds already.


I don't understand this. People in our country, can either help or contribute towards solving an issue, or just mind their own work. Instead of being silent spectators and ruining the issue further. It made me ask myself if I have ever behaved this crazily in any stranger's issue. I haven't, and I definitely had no reasons to put up with a bunch of foolhardy strangers doing that to me.


You know that feeling, when you love something dearly and you see it being damaged right in front of your eyes, and you can do nothing about it? You feel so helpless, that you wish you never put so many emotions, effort and love into it. That's exactly how I felt. Ever since I was a child, I had a habit of holding on to the things and people I love. As tears streamed across my face while examining the collateral damage, it felt just the way when someone I loved tore me apart. It was like a heartbreak, a feeling I detested. What happens when something you adore, treat as the center of your world gets broken? You love it more, don't you? So did I. In my case, I couldn't sleep well the entire night and walked into the balcony umpteen times to ensure no more broken parts are running afloat.


This morning, when I dropped it at the showroom, the concerned guy assured me that he would make it look all new. Ironically, it is still all new.


P.S. Thanks to two awesome people (friends from work) who helped me out. You both deserve donuts.


And about the guys from the bus, I wish I could meet them again. I would love to punch them. Jerks!

0 comments:

 

God Made Me Funky! Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos