Tuesday, December 22, 2015

O John Cusack, Where Art Thou?

Posted by Sunaina Patnaik at Tuesday, December 22, 2015
Source: Sixteen Candles
I was having a conversation with one of my friends at work last week. When I announced that I was bored with my life, he asked me to join Tinder. Although my boredom was nowhere related to the lack of a certain someone in my life, I am quite sure that Tinder is something I would never use even if that was the reason. Call me old fashioned, but I do not believe in finding love on an app.


For instance, here's a boring story. I have a really good friend. Let's call her 'S' and S joined Tinder a couple of weeks ago. I am not sure about this fact, but I was told that it matches you with people according to your interests. My friend too found a match. Let's call him 'A'. And A  turned out to be a creep. Ironically, 'S' and 'A' went to the same school, and 'S' harboured hatred for him throughout the high school. As their schoolmate, I happen to know how utterly ridiculous 'A' was (and still is) and I was quite surprised that their profiles matched. If A is the sort of love S found on Tinder, she'd rather stay single. Sure, this could be an isolated tale, but I could tell you more such stories. I don't want this to turn into a rant. But my opinion is just that you cannot find love on an app.


People who know me well also know that I like to keep my roots closer to the kind of love that prevailed in the 80s. Sure, it hasn't ever happened to me, but a girl can hope, isn't it? Talking about the 80s, I must admit, I am largely influenced by the 80s movies. There is certainly something charming about them. Always a sucker for romantic movies, I have painted an unrealistic form of love in my mind. And why not? We all watch great movies. We all read great books. We all talk about the people who live great lives. But we all refuse to live one.


I don't know about you, but I know that the innocent yet slightly awkward love from Sixteen Candles exists in the real world and that there is no fun in love if the man you fall in love doesn't raise his fist in the air like John does in The Breakfast Club. I know you'll tell me that our lives aren't directed by John Hughes, but is it too much to ask for? Is it too much to ask for a John Cusack standing with a boom box under my balcony?


Maybe it is too much to ask for. Maybe in the world where love has become a matter of convenience, it is slightly selfish to hope we'd find love like that.


But, I would rather be disappointed than look for it on Tinder. Yeah, call me old-fashioned by but that's that.

0 comments:

 

God Made Me Funky! Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos