Saturday, August 03, 2013

Romi & Gang: Book Review

Posted by Sunaina Patnaik at Saturday, August 03, 2013

Book: Romi & Gang
Author: Tushar Raheja
Publishing House: Pirates
ISBN-13 978-81-926810-0-9
Price: 149/-

I was supposed to review this book a month ago but I was so caught up in work that I could not. And finally, I finished reading the book.

The first thing that pops into your head when you see the author's name is 'Anything for you ma'm' which was a national best-seller. This book happens to belong to a completely different genre and I found it as a spot of joy to have read it. What you will really love about this book is the illustrations. They are totally cute and I drifted back into the days of Summer that I spent reading Enid Blyton.

Romi & Gang is a book that narrates the story of Romi and his group of friends. (Of course!) Romi, a thirteen year old boy, deeply passionate about Cricket is adventurous and like the book mentions, he is the hero of his universe. Romi and his gang of friends spend their evenings playing Cricket in the maidan. The major characters that revolve around Romi are Sunny, Golu, Sukhi, Nikita, and Victor Sir. Many instances in this book reminded me of my childhood and the days spent with the childhood friends. Gold!

Romi and his gang spend their days playing Cricket, talking about their school, believing in ghosts etc. Like every child, Romi collects the pictures of his idols and stores them in a book. He adores them. Later, Romi ends up stealing a box of balls for their gully Cricket and their lives change massively when Romi accepts the fault. They are divided into different sections. But it doesn't end right there. They are promoted to ninth grade and the inter school Cricket tournament is the major thing they vouch for. However, they don't make it to the list of the players. So, the junior class competes with the senior class to prove their capabilities. Though, they do not win the match, they earn a huge amount of respect. And that is a huge achievement for them. The newspapers bears news about them the very next day.

I expected something 'huge' out of the character 'Kim' but it was lost somewhere as the plot progressed and that was disappointing. The story could have been more appealing but I did enjoy the book and that is all that matters, right?

This book leaves a fine impression on a reader. Little things can bring a lot of joy and every reader will revisit their childhood through this book.

If you like the review, you can buy it here- I AM PAPERBACK!

Own a Kindle, get your copy here- I AM THE KINDLE VERSION!

Yes, I review books (Painfully slow!) 
You can write to me at sunaina469@gmail.com

2 comments:

Asisha on 4 Aug 2013, 23:31:00 said...

I like reading ur reviews :)
They giv gud insights abt the buks :D

Sunaina on 5 Aug 2013, 05:27:00 said...

Thank you!

 

God Made Me Funky! Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos