Friday, December 26, 2014

2014 So Far!

Posted by Sunaina Patnaik at Friday, December 26, 2014


“You raze the old to raise the new.” 

2014 has been quite unpredictable, and on many occasions, it was disappointing and excruciating too. No matter what I say, it has been a great learning experience, but I wish to go on a holiday from the grand learning experience.

I am not sure if I have anything much to say, but I just do not want to break the ritual of writing the end of the year post.

1) As you all know, I was a corporate slave, doing things I hated and absolutely did not care for. When my manager said I was not good enough, I am glad I paid attention to it. I moved on to a job I cared in the pursuit of creating something beautiful instead of trying to get myself into another corporate rut.

2) It does not come as a surprise to me when I say there are very few friends with whom you can pick where you left. I am glad I have them, and I would not go overboard to say I love them, but I am almost there.

These people have stood by my side all the time. Though they were royally absent in my happiness, they never gave up on me in my distress.

3) The best way to know if you can trust someone is by trusting them. If you are willing to put your trust in them, I am sure they are worth the effort. 

4) If not for reading and writing, I would not even be half the person I am.

The sorcery of words, beauty of letting you dive into a whole new world, introducing people of different ideologies and tastes are amazing.

Perhaps the beauty of emotions is always spoiled when I try to talk about them. But when I write them, they sound surreal. But real!

5) I've lost and let go off too many people this year. You can take my word for it-I have made peace with myself by forgiving them.

But it does not mean the broken things can be repaired. Not yet.

6) There is this one person who has the ability to bring out the best and the worst in me, bringing out the child in me, making me do things I probably never imagined, saying things I would not even dare to say in the wildest of my dreams.

This person is not the sunshine to my life. Oh no, definitely not! But it sure feels like sunshine when this person is around me.

And even when I claim not to throw tantrums with this person, I always do. I know it, but I argue otherwise.

7) There is really no antidote to pain and loss.

But red velvet cupcakes and tiramisu take care of the pain. Temporarily!

8) When you really like someone, it does not even matter what you are going through or willing to go through for them.

9) Solitude and silence are beautiful beyond imagination. Living all by myself on the days my parents are away, cooking for myself, cleaning my space, and reading, ah! Needless to say, the best things always come in tiny packages.

10) Over the last 6 months, I set a record of wearing just black. Mostly! My mother is wondering if I am wearing the same outfit every day, and my colleague keeps asking me if I'd ever get bored of it.

I think I should buy some colours the next year. My mourning outfits need to go on a break.

11) I have turned into a bigger caffeine addict. I am trying to cut down but I think I would fail. Miserably! 

12) I have made some real time investments this year. I am a little proud of myself.

13) I sold my first story. More details soon.

14) I have lost the interest in making conversations, and I am hoping it would turn into a lost art. 

15) While writing, you always need a good editor. An editor who can edit your work relentlessly, calling it a piece of trash, and sit for long hours with you, trying to beat sense in your slightly delusional mind, by correcting your grammar and replacing mundane words with graceful ones. You need this editor to read out Abbe Prevost or Proust to you. 

Phew! I had a tough time listing out these things, and most of them do not make any sense. But this year has just been tumultuous, you know?

As I close my eyes, I can now remember the good things--reuniting with lost friends, rekindling forgotten emotions, meeting your teacher and the first editor who inspired you to do something beautiful, late night conversations, sleepovers, writing my first Haiku poem, meeting fabulous people, discovering great musicians, painters and writers, looking at this person eating ice-cream like a child, embracing friendships that are beyond geographical restrictions, writing more than ever, turning into a braver person, earning the ability of expressing what I like and what I do not, not putting up with people who harm me, and pushing myself to work for the things that matter.

I have always loved myself above everything, and I will always. That is a promise!

To everyone who has been a part of my life and this post this year, thank you. For contributing bits and pieces of your life into mine! You add stars to my memories.

Here's to growing older, flying time, wasted nights, haunting dark circles, beautiful memories, smiles and laughter, broken promises, words and conversations, love and a lot like it. Happy 2015!

And now 2015, can you just grow my bangs already? I feel like a goof with this haircut.

12 comments:

Econgirl on 27 Dec 2014, 02:54:00 said...

This is a sweet post! :)
I wish 2015 is much more awesome for you, with more books being read and written. Happy New Year!

rigzin on 27 Dec 2014, 03:37:00 said...

Wonderful post to end this year.I am also a big time caffeine addict and i love silence and solitude.Solitude enriches us,recharging us,i consider it as a gift and embrace it with open arms.
Wish you a wonderful new year and hope you continue to share your experiences.

i write sometimes..do drop in if u get time..
http://riggs-riggs.blogspot.com/2013/03/your-smile.html

Sunaina Patnaik on 27 Dec 2014, 04:37:00 said...

@Brototi: Thank you! :)

Sunaina Patnaik on 27 Dec 2014, 04:37:00 said...

@Rigzin: You have a happy new year too. Thank you! :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome post !! Love the way you write, as always..am more eager to know the details of your point # 13!

Sunaina Patnaik on 27 Dec 2014, 07:40:00 said...

@Anonymous: Thank you! Also, I am more eager to know your name. Leave your name the next time. :)

saichandra sv on 29 Dec 2014, 23:42:00 said...

Congratulations on your real time investments.

Sunaina Patnaik on 30 Dec 2014, 01:59:00 said...

@Saichandra: Thank you!

Somya on 5 Jan 2015, 02:32:00 said...

Amazing words jeweled with lot of hearty feelings. My first visit and am blown away by the way u write. Claps Claps..:)

Sunaina Patnaik on 5 Jan 2015, 02:52:00 said...

@Somya: Thank you.

Zara Chowdhary on 7 Jan 2015, 07:06:00 said...

Would you like to continue to write out of The Wedding Filmer's studio? :)

Sunaina Patnaik on 7 Jan 2015, 20:19:00 said...

@Zara: OMG! I took a mini jive now. I would love to. :)

 

God Made Me Funky! Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos